Ownership and Doctrinal Position of the Publishing House
The Brethren Missionary Herald Company (BMH) is the official publishing house of the Charis Fellowship (Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches). BMH and its imprint, BMH Books, adhere to the same evangelical doctrinal position as the sponsoring network of churches. Click here to see a summary of the biblical convictions, mutual commitments, and common practices of the Charis Fellowship.
Book Subjects Considered
BMH publishes both for the Charis Fellowship and for the general Christian public. To be considered, all manuscripts must be compatible with our doctrinal position.
- BMH considers book manuscripts dealing with theology, the church, pastoral helps, Bible studies, the Christian home, devotional studies, Christian living, and deeper life.
- Manuscripts NOT accepted are: poetry, short stories, children’s, fiction, unsolicited Bible commentaries, and reference works.
- A complete proposal must be submitted, as detailed below. Proposals will not be returned unless accompanied by sufficient return postage.
Preparation of Manuscript Proposals
A complete proposal should include the following:
- A query/cover letter explaining what you envision for the manuscript
- An overview of the concept for the book, including a description of the intended audience
- A chapter-by-chapter synopsis
- Two sample chapters, including Chapter One
- A biographical sheet or resume of the author(s), spelling out why you are qualified to write this book and/or what your unique perspective is
- A review of competitive titles currently in print on the same or similar topics
- A review of marketing possibilities available to the author(s)
Submissions should meet the following standards:
- Adherence to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- All submissions must be a copy of your original materials. We cannot accept responsibility for lost text or artwork
- Proposals should be on 81/2” x 11” white bond paper, unless by e-mail. No glossy paper please.
- Pages should be numbered consecutively from the beginning to the end of the manuscript rather than by chapters.
- The author is responsible to obtain permission to use any copyrighted material.
- Please allow up to six months for your manuscript to be evaluated by our review committee and editors.
- If your manuscript is accepted for publication, BMH prefers manuscripts on standard computer disks in a word processing format convertible to Microsoft WORD. Each chapter should be self-contained in an individual file.
Financial Arrangements for Book Manuscripts
Contract arrangements are made upon final acceptance of the book by the publisher.
- While a flat rate is paid for some books, most are contracted on a royalty basis. Any advances will be against future royalties.
- If you are interested in any of our alternate publishing models (guaranteed purchase or shared equity), contact the publisher for a copy of an explanatory document.
- Contracted manuscripts should be submitted on an IBM-compatible disk or by e-mail.
Please send proposals to:
Winona Lake, IN 46590
1104A Kings Highway
Winona Lake, IN 46590
You may also e-mail proposals to: email@example.com